
一点英语
English Step by Step
No. 215
01
Medical Story Show
(5-13)
What do you know about the nun?
你知道那个修女的事吗
Which one?
哪一个
The cute one. I think she likes me.
那个可爱的 我觉得她喜欢我
The sick one, obviously.
当然是病的那个啊
Her parents died when she was a child.
她父母在她小时候就死了
And she's been with the Church ever since.
之后她就一直在教堂里生活
What's she lying about? Why do you say that?
她哪儿撒谎了 为什么这么说
I always say that.
我从来都这么说
And the old nun thinks
那个老修女认为
the sick nun is a big, fat nun liar.
生病的那个是个大骗子
You know nuns. What do you think?
你很了解修女 你怎么看
I don't know nuns.
我不了解修女
You hate nuns.
你讨厌修女
You can't hate someone if you don't know them.
你要不了解的话 是不会讨厌的
Know any Nazis? Maybe I hate them on principle.
了解纳粹吗 可能我就是讨厌她们
I have a theory about what makes good boys good.
关于好孩子是怎么变好的 我有个理论
It's not because of some moral imperative.
并不是什么道德觉悟
Good boys have the fear of God put into them.
好孩子对上帝心存畏惧
Catholic Church specializes in that kind of training.
天主教尤其擅长这种教育
To make good boys afraid of divine retribution.
让好孩子们害怕上帝的惩罚
So they'll do what their daddies tell 'em.
所以他们会对父母唯命是从
Like, for example
比如说
going into medical school when it's the last thing they want to do.
他们不希望自己的孩子去学医
What do you think?
你觉得呢
I think if she did have a secret, her boss would know.
我觉得如果她真的撒谎的话 院长会知道
Did you paint or put in new carpets recently?
你们最近粉刷了或者买了新的地毯吗
No.
没有
Any way she could've got access to drugs?
她有可能接触到药品吗
Well, we lock all our medications in the infirmary
我们的药都锁在医务室里
and we don't keep prescription drugs here.
而且我们这也没有处方药
Why haven't you asked sister Augustine about these things directly?
为什么不直接问奥古斯丁修女呢
I found that when you want to know
我发现 如果你想
the truth about someone
真正了解一个人
that someone is probably the last person you should ask.
一般最后才去问这个人
And have you been speaking to Sister Eucharist?
你和尤凯瑞斯修女聊过了吗
She ratted out her fellow sister pretty quickly.
她很快就出卖了她的同伴
If I were you, I'd have her repeat a year of nun school.
如果我是你 肯定让她回来重念修女学校
Becoming a nun doesn't make you a saint.
修女并不是圣人
Becoming a doctor doesn't make you a healer.
医生也并不能治百病
And just because we live in a monastery
虽然我们住在修道院
and we spend most of our time in prayer
大部分时间都在祈祷
doesn't mean we don't find time for drama.
但我们的生活同样很有戏剧性
So what is the sick one's drama?
那病了的修女 有些什么戏份
Sister Augustine lived in Catholic foster care
奥古斯丁修女来我们这之前
until she came to us.
一直住在天主教寄养机构
Tea?
要茶吗
Sure.
好
Do all of you lie?
你们都会撒谎吗
It's a good strategy.
这个策略不错
It's simpler when you tell the same lie.
谎言重复起来很简单
But she does not spend her entire life as a good Catholic.
但她并非一直都是个好的天主教徒
When she had a cardiac arrest
她心脏骤停时
I had to open her blouse to do CPR.
我解开她的衬衫 做心肺复苏
And I learned two things.
结果发现了两件事
Nuns can have nice breasts.
修女也可以有傲人的胸部
And she has a tattoo on her shoulder.
而且她肩膀上有纹身
——From《House M.D》
重点词汇(Vocabulary)
1. imperative [ɪmˈperətɪv] adj. 极重要的,必要的;命令的,强制的;祈使的;n. 重要紧急的事,必要的事;祈使语气,祈使语气动词;命令
2. divine [dɪˈvaɪn] adj. 神的,天赐的
3. infirmary [ɪnˈfɜːrməri] n. 医务室;医院;养老院
4. rat out 出卖;临阵脱逃
5. saint [seɪnt] n. (基督教追封的)圣者,圣徒;圣人,道德高尚的人
02
Next issue