一点英语
English Step by Step
No. 155
01
Medical Story Show
(2-13)
It's infected, with a really big hole
感染了 有个挺大的口子
like you stuck a nail in it to relieve the pressure.
象是你敲了个钉子进去 释放压力
I wouldn't do that. Although the wound is irregular.
我不会那么做 尽管伤口不规则
It's not cylindrical. It's shaped like a triangle.
不是圆柱形的 像是三角形的
So, not a nail.
那么就不是钉子
Steak knife? Wife's nail file.
餐刀吗 我老婆的指甲挫
Nail file.
指甲挫
Yeah. Pain will make you do stupid things.
疼痛会让你做蠢事
Something to take the edge off? Yeah.
来点放松一下吗 好
Cheers.
干杯
So, you have family here in Princeton?
你家人在普林斯顿吗
No. Here on work?
没有 因为工作吗
No. Why are you Does your penis hurt?
不是 为什么你 你的阴茎疼吗
No. What? Should it?
不疼 干嘛 应该疼的吗
No. Just thought I'd toss you a really inappropriate question.
没有 就是想问个不该问的问题
Your lawyer's gonna love it.
你的律师会很喜欢
Why would I want to sue you? I want you to treat me.
我为什么要告你 我需要你治好我
You're from Maplewood, New Jersey, right? Yeah.
你来自新泽西 梅普尔伍德 对
Now, why would you drive 70 miles...
那么 为什么驱车 70 英里
to get treatment for a condition that a nineyearold could diagnose?
就为了治疗一个 9 岁小孩都能诊断的症状
It's the freeflowing pus that's the tipoff.
流脓了 是个提示
I was in town. Not for family. Not for work.
我在城里 不为家人 也不为工作
You drove 70 miles to a walkin clinic.
你驱车 70 英里 来到免费门诊
You passed two hospitals on the road.
沿途错过两家医院
Now, either you've got a problem with those hospitals
要么你对那些医院有看法
or they have a problem with you.
要么他们对你有看法
My guess is you've sued half the doctors in Maplewood
我猜你已把梅普尔伍德一半的医生给告了
and the rest are now refusing to help you.
剩下的医生拒绝给你帮助
It's ironic, isn't it? Sort of like the boy who sued wolf.
讽刺 不是吗 像那个起诉狼的男孩
You know, I bet we have a doctor here named Wolf.
知道吗 我打赌我们有个医生叫'狼'
How perfect would that be?
该多完美啊
I'm gonna page him. Okay. You know what? Thank you.
我现在传呼他 多谢了
I'm gonna find a doctor to take care of this.
我会找到医生来处理这个的
I didn't say I wouldn't treat you.
我没说我不治你
We'll drain your knee
我们会引流清理膝部
run some lab work. Fix you up.
做些实验室检查 把你治好
Why would you do that?
你为什么这么做
I'm a people person.
我以人为本呗
You actually treated him?
你真的给他治疗了吗
All I know is he sued some doctors.
我只知道他起诉了几个医生
Who am I to assume they didn't have it coming to them?
我怎么知道他们不是活该自找的
The cutest little tennis outfit.
最最可爱的小网球服
My God, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack.
我还以为我要心脏病发了
Oh, my. Didn't see you there. That is so embarrassing.
天 没看到你 太尴尬了
How's your hooker doing?
你的应召女郎怎么样
Sweet of you to ask. Funny story.
多谢关心 滑稽的故事
She was gonna be hospital administrator, but just hated having to screw people like that.
她要当医院领导了 但讨厌给别人找茬
Heard you found her on the roof.
我听说你在屋顶找到她的
You have very acute hearing
你耳朵还真灵
——From《House M.D》
重点词汇(Vocabulary)
1.stick [stɪk] v. 粘,贴;铭记在心,经久不忘;刺,扎,戳;卡住,钉住
2.nail [neɪl]n. 钉子;指甲,趾甲
3.cylindrical [səˈlɪndrɪkl] adj. 圆柱形的;圆柱体的
4.triangle [ˈtraɪæŋɡl] n. 三角形;三角形物体
5.nail file [ˈneɪl faɪl] 指甲锉
6.take the edge off 减弱;减轻
7.pus [pʌs]n.脓
8.ironic [aɪˈrɑːnɪk] adj. 反语的,讽刺的;(因出乎意料而)奇怪的,好笑的
9.page [peɪdʒ] v. (在公共场所)用扩音器呼叫(某人或发布信息);用寻呼机呼叫(某人)
10.take care of 处理;负责
11.drain [dreɪn] v.排水;排空;(使)流光;放干;(使)流走,流出
12.fix you up 安排好你
13、outfit[ˈaʊtfɪt]n. (尤指在某一场合穿的)全套服装;全套工具,全套设备
14.heart attack 心脏病发作
15.acute [əˈkjuːt]adj. 严重的,危险的;急性的,剧烈的;灵敏的;敏锐的
02
Next issue