
一点英语
English Step by Step
No. 133
Traditional Chinese medicine
When abdominal fullness lessens periodically and then returns as before, this indicates cold. Treat it by giving warm medicinals.
腹满时减,复如故,此为寒,当与温药。
Medical Story Show
(1-20)
Why did you hire me?
你为什么雇我
Does it matter?
这重要吗
Kinda hard to work for a guy who doesn't respect you.
很难为不尊重自己的人工作
Why? Is that rhetorical?
为什么,这是你的口头禅吗
No. It just seems that way 'cause you can't think of an answer.
不是,只是奇怪你会不知道答案
Does it make a difference what I think?
你真的在乎我的想法吗
I'm a jerk.
我是个混蛋
The only thing that matters is what you think.
重要的是你自己的想法
Can you do the job?
你能胜任这份工作吗
You hired a black guy because he had a juvenile record.
你雇福曼,是因为他有少年犯罪史
No.
才不是
It wasn't a racial thing.
这不是种族问题
I didn't see a black guy.
我看到的不是个黑人
I just saw a doctor...
而是一名医生
with a juvenile record.
兼有少年犯罪史
I hired Chase 'cause his dad made a phone call.
我雇奇斯 因为他爹老烦我
I hired you...
我雇你
because you are extremely pretty.
因为你美艳动人
You hired me to get into my pants?
你竟然只图我的美色
I can't believe that that would shock you.
你这么奇怪干嘛
It's also not what I said.
我可没这么说
No, I hired you because you look good.
错了 我雇你 是因为你养眼
It's like having a nice piece of art in the lobby.
就像门廊里的花瓶
I was in the top of my class.
我是我们班里的尖子
But not the top.
但并非名列前茅
I did an internship at the Mayo Clinic.
我还在梅奥诊所做过实习医生
Yeah. You were a very good applicant.
没错 你的确在众求职者中出类拔萃
But not the best.
但并非最好的
Would that upset you? Really?
这让你很沮丧吗 真的
To think that you were hired because of some genetic gift of beauty
我雇你是看在你的天生丽质
instead of some genetic gift of intelligence?
而非天资聪颖,所以你很不快吗
I worked very hard to get where I am.
我是几经辛苦才得到这份工作的
But you didn't have to.
但你不需要
People choose the paths that gain them the greatest rewards
人们总是选择用最小努力
for the least amount of effort.
换取最大的回报
That's a law of nature
这是人之常情
and you defied it.
而你却反其道而行
That's why I hired you.
这才是我看中你的原因
You could have married rich. You could have been a model.
你大可以嫁给一个富翁 或者做名模
You could have just shown up and
你只要稍微卖弄姿色
people would have given you stuff.
就能得到想要的东西
Lots of stuff.
很多东西
But you didn't. You worked your stunning little ass off.
可你却没有 你抛开自己容貌上的优势
Am I supposed to be flattered?
我是不是该感到荣幸啊
Gorgeous women do not go to medical school...
美女不会进医学院
unless they're as damaged as they are beautiful.
除非美丽的外表下藏着一颗受伤的心
Were you abused by a family member?
你被家人虐待过吗
No. Sexually assaulted?
没有 被强奸过吗
No!
没有
But you are damaged, aren't you?
反正你的心是受伤的 对吧
——From《House M.D》
重点词汇(Vocabulary)
1. rhetorical [rɪˈtɔːrɪkl] adj. 反问的;反诘的
2. juvenile [ˈdʒuːvənl] adj. 少年的;未成年的
3. racial [ˈreɪʃl] adj.种族的
4. internship [ˈɪntɜːrnʃɪp] n. 实习期
5. defied [dɪˈfaɪd] v. 违抗;反抗
6. abuse [əˈbjuːs , əˈbjuːz] v. 虐待
7. assault [əˈsɔːlt] v. 袭击,侵犯人身
8. lessens [ˈlesnz] v.(使)变小,变少,减弱,减轻
国际交流与合作部