
一点英语
English Step by Step
No. 189
01
Medical Story Show
(4-9)
That's how you decide which baby lives?
你就是这么决定孩子生死的吗
Can I borrow a quarter?
我可以借个硬币吗
Do you want to get sued,lose your license, House?
你想被起诉 丢执照吗 豪斯
Well, generally I'd applaud that
照理说我很乐意你被起诉
but my job is to protect this hospital
但我的工作是保护这家医院
so I strongly advice you to come up with a medical rationale
所以我强烈建议你想出些医学理论
why Baby A should get Medicine X and vice-versa.
说明为什么宝宝 A 用 X 药 反之亦然
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on there, Slick.
我是在想这个 滑头
We didn't all go to law school.
我们可没上过法学院
Your advice is that I should
你的建议是我应该
use medical reasons to make medical decisions?
基于医学理论来做医学决定吗
Hmm, that's not going to be as easy...
这可不简单
Any medical justification.
任何医学的合理解释
Doesn't need to be a good one.
都不需要是完美的
Well, Hartig sounds Jewish, so does Aztreonam
哈蒂格和氨曲南听上去都出自犹太民族
so we'll take the Hartig kid off Vancomycin, how's that?
所以哈蒂格家的孩子停用氨曲南 怎么样
You can't experiment on babies.
你不能在孩子身上做实验
Doctors experiment all the time.
医生一直在病人身上做实验
On adults. With their consent.
是成人 并且要他们认可
Fine. I'll get the parents' consent.
好吧 我去征求家长的同意
Their informed consent.
你要告诉实情
They have to know the other kid is getting a different treatment.
他们必须了解 另一个孩子得到不同的治疗
Sorry, can't do that.
抱歉 不能这样
It'd be unethical for one
让一个病人知道
patient to know about another patient's treatment.
另一个病人的治疗过程是不道德的
They have a right to know.
他们有权知道
If they know, they won't consent,that defeats the whole purpose.
如果他们知道就不会同意 计划就失败了
That's their right.
这是他们的权利
Two more babies have just become symptomatic.
又有两个婴儿出现了症状
I defer to your legal wisdom:which takes precedence?
我会听从你的法律建议 哪个具有优先权
Six dying babies or a missing consent form?
六个将死的孩子 还是一张失踪的医疗合同
You can't do it.
你不能这么做
Do what you think is best.
你觉得怎么好就怎么做吧
Your daughter's kidneys are shutting down...
你女儿的肾脏正在衰竭
Your son's kidneys are failing.
你儿子的肾快不行了
so we're going to take her of the Aztreonam.
所以我们打算给她停用氨曲南 ...
We're taking him off Vancomycin.
我们要给他停用万古霉素
But, uh, but what made her sick in the first place?
可是 最开始她是怎么得病的
What do you think is causing it?
你们认为是什么东西引起的
It seems to be a germ called pseudomonas.
看起来是一种叫绿脓杆菌的细菌
——From《House M.D》
重点词汇(Vocabulary)
1.quarter [ˈkwɔːrtər]n. (美国和加拿大的)二十五分硬币2.rationale [ˌræʃəˈnæl] n.基本原理,根本原因;理论基础3.medical rationale 医学原理4.vice-versa 反之亦然5.hold on there 等一下6.slick [slɪk]n. < 非正式>机灵鬼,滑头7.I‘ll get the parents' consent. 我去征求家长的同意。8.defeat [dɪˈfiːt] v. 击败,战胜9.defer [dɪˈfɜːr] v. 延期,推迟10.takes precedence 优先11.germ [dʒɜːrm] n. 病菌,细菌
02
Next issue