
一点英语
English Step by Step
No. 159
01
Medical Story Show
(2-17)
If you're clean, I'm sure it'll all blow over. No big deal.
如果你是清白的 那就没事了 没什么大不了
There's an easy way to find out.
有个很简单的方法
Get one of your doctors to run a test.
找个给你看过病的医生 检查一下
Uhuh.
等等
These are mine now.
现在 这是我的了
I'll see you in court.
法庭上见啦
West Nile negative. Not surprising
西尼罗河病毒检测室呈阴性 不奇怪啊
since not too many mosquitoes passing through Jersey in December.
泽西岛十二月 份又没有很多蚊子
No eastern encephalitis.
东方型马脑炎也是阴性
You guys aren't gonna believe this.
你们不会相信的
What's that?
怎么啦
House is right. The father's not the father.
豪斯是对的 他爸爸不是他的亲生父亲
Dude doubled up on me.
他还把赌注加倍了
You're not gonna believe this.
你也不会相信
The mother's not the mother either.
他妈妈也不是他亲生母亲
It's not a good idea to move your son in his condition.
这种情况下 我们不建议您的孩子办理转院
We just want a second opinion.
我们想听听别的医生的意见
We need an answer.
我们想知道明确的结论
You idiots.You lied to me.
你们这两个笨蛋 为什么骗我
We didn't lie about anything.
我们没有隐瞒任何事
You, on the other hand, accused us of molesting our son.
反倒是你 指责我们骚扰自己的孩子
Perfect.
你干的好事哈
Can we get off my screwups and focus on theirs?
能不能先别忙着说我 看看他们犯下的错误
Theirs is bigger
他俩的错误更严重
You're not Dan's parents.
你们根本不是丹的父母
We're his parents.
我们是他的父母
He was adopted. He doesn't need to know.
他是我们领养的 他不需要知道这点
I do.
我要知道
Adoption makes us just as much
我们把他当亲生...
Listen.
那我问你
When we were taking his medical history, were you confused?
当被问到病史时 你们有没有一点疑惑呢
Did you think we were looking for a genetic clue to his condition
你不知道我们一直在基因方面找线索吗
or did you think we were trying to ascertain who loves him the most in the whole wide world?
难道你们觉得 我会关心世上谁最爱他吗
How did you find out about this?
你怎么发现的
I sampled their D.N.A.
我取了他们的 DNA 化验
We didn't give you any D.N.A.
我们没给你
Your coffee cups from the cafeteria.
是自助餐厅的杯子上留下的
You can't do that.
你不能这么做
Again, why are we getting hung up on what I did?
又来了 为什么要纠结我的行为
Your medical history is useless.
你们的病史压根没用
No. We gave you a detailed history of his biological mother.
不 我们提供的是他生母的详细资料
Her history. Nonsmoker, good health
她的资料 不吸烟 身体健康
low cholesterol, no blood pressure problems.
低胆固醇 没有血压上的毛病
Dan was adopted two weeks after he was born.
在丹出生两周的时候 就被我们领养了
You have his history. There's nothing you need to know that we didn't tell you.
你有他所有的资料 我们已经知无不言
Sounds reasonable.
很有道理
Well, if you want to transfer your boy, that is your choice.
那么 如果你们想给他办转院 也可以
I still think it's the wrong
但我还是觉得这不太好
Was she vaccinated?
她打过疫苗吗
The biological mother. When she was a baby, did she get her vaccinations?我是说他的生母 小时候打过疫苗吗
Dan was vaccinated. At six months.
丹六个月 大的时候 就打过疫苗
Mmhmm. Do you know why kids
是啊 那你知道为什么小孩
get vaccinated at six months?
要在 6 个月时打疫苗呢
——From《House M.D》
重点词汇(Vocabulary)
1. blow over 平息;被淡忘;消散;停止2. mosquito [məˈskiːtoʊ] n. 蚊子3. encephalitis [enˌsefəˈlaɪtɪs] n.脑炎4. dude [duːd] n.男人5. accuse [əˈkjuːz] vt.指责;控告;谴责;控诉6. molest [məˈlest] vt.猥亵;对(儿童)进行性骚扰;攻击;伤害7. get off 未受惩罚;逃脱(严厉的)惩罚;出发;离开;从…上走开,离…远点(指要求某人离开某处土地或房产);把手拿开;别碰8. screwup [ˈskruːʌp] n.弄糟的事情9. medical history 病史(历)10. clue [kluː] n.线索11. ascertain [ˌæsərˈteɪn] vt.查明;弄清12. hung up on 沉溺于、全神贯注于13. biological mother 生母;亲生母亲14. cholesterol [kəˈlestərɔːl] n. 胆固醇
02
Next issue